Wednesday, August 29, 2007

Political ups and downs.

Not much blogging of late - so blogfest coming up over next hour. Been too busy campaigning. After all, there might be an election on October 25th. I don't think so, but..... Anyway, had an up and down morning in Welshpool today.

Firstly, as leaving my office, met a lovely lady named Jessie. An old friend, who told me that she'd voted Conservative in the Assembly election in May. Personal vote. I was floored. I had rather assumed that there was as much chance of Jessie voting Conservative as Dracula going vegetarian. She couldn't understand how I had lost my position as an AM of course. Bloody PR. And she's Scottish. No-one Scottish votes Conservative. She laughed when I said that I appreciated the sacrifice that she had made for me. Perhaps I really do have a chance of deposing the Celebtarian.

So, feeling good. I knew it wouldn't last. Called for a coffee at the Blue Cafe (at least that was its name 40 years ago) and caught the eye of a man who looked as if he wanted to engage in conversation. And what he wanted to say was that I was happy to speak to him since I became a politician - but before, I had been too arrogant to speak to him. And that he had every intention of of carrying on voting Liberal Democrat. I was quite upset about it. Call me a murderer, or any other sort of criminal - but don't accuse me of being arrogant.

I only have this trouble in the Llanfair Caereinion area. Problem is that I went to school there - and because I've been in the public eye ever since (YFC, rugby football, Council, Quangos, Assembly) all of my school contemporaries know what I look like. And I still have my hair. I simply don't recognise some of them - because I have not seen them change over the years. So, if you see me walking down the streets of Llanfair Caereinion, smiling inanely and waving at everyone in sight, you will understand that I am afraid some of my old school friends may be walking the streets, disguised in their much changed condition.

1 comment:

Aberavon and Neath Liberal Democrats said...

> She couldn't understand how I had
>lost my position as an AM of course.
> Bloody PR.

If we had proper PR, you would no doubt still be in Cardiff Bay and not that young upstart. ;-)

- Frank Little