Tuesday, June 03, 2008

Dw i eisiau bod y Prif Weinidog nesa.

Thank goodness for Labour AM, Huw Lewis. At least he's letting us know that he'd like to be the National Assembly's First Minister. He realises that the Assembly is not some genteel little club, where all the members wait quietly and politely, while Rhodri Morgan ponders just how long he wants his equivalent of the open top bus tour to last. I'm told that Huw has been to Nantgwrthaearn to learn Welsh during the half term break. Its not possible to make a more blatant statement of his intentions. Huw wants to be the First Minister, and he wants us to know it. Well done him. No idea whether he'll secure any support, but at least he's trying to put a bit of interest into Assembly politics.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Glyn,

I think Huw's confusion and ambivalence over his Welsh identity will take a little more than a few Welsh lessons to sort out. I also doubt that many on the devolutionary left of Welsh Labour will be influenced by it.

I suspect the candidate who is going to win is already a fluent speaker and therefore does not need to start his campaign quite this early...........

Glyn Davies said...

Patriot - I'm forced to agree withyou on all counts. Its just that I'm desperate for something interesting to happen - like a leadership contest. I know the Lib Dems have got something coming up later in the year, but somehow it leaves me cold.

Gadfly said...

Was Welsh your mother tongue or did you learn it to?

Anonymous said...

I wouldnt underestimate Huw lewis or his support.
He is quite a charmer when he wants to be , is not afriad of debate and speaks his mind.
Some of my Labour friends do not relish Carwyn or Leighton - I hope we get a good fight.

Anonymous said...

missing audit committee and making it so members couldn't start the meeting for welsh lessons aswell. Must be serious...

Glyn Davies said...

North Walian - Welsh was my mother's tongue, and my fathers. But ther ewas a general policy of not speaking Welsh to the children - so neither I nor my five sisters learned any Welsh at all at home. I did some minimal Welsh in school (it was called O3 Welsh). I've learned to speak Welsh over the last few years.

VM - I think Huw deserves good marks for showing some ambition. I always liked his up and at 'em attitude. If he's recognising the importance of the Welsh Language, I believe we should be pleased about it.

Anonymous said...

learning welsh, are we sure he wasn't just looking for a holiday home, Suspect the main home in Penarth is too close to his and his wifes valley constituents.

Used to like Huw, but hes gone well off the boil of late. Think hes been listening to his wife too much, arguably one of the wost Am's we have. We need the valley consituencies to not just vote Labour for the ske of it, but to ensure Labour offer quality candidates a number of consituencies are being severely let down by the likes of lynne and irene james